Hey love bees! 🐝
Here in England the temperature’s dropping, as winter descends upon us! ❄️
Throughout the summer I rarely eat cooked food and consume mostly raw fruits and veg, but as the weather gets colder, I like to indulge in something a little more warm and hearty!
This recipe below is one of my favourite dishes, that I love making during the winter. It’s easy to prepare, is extremely satisfying, and is delicious and healthy as well!
Like all of the recipes I’ll be posting on this blog, it’s vegan-friendly, gluten-free and also contains no soy! (As I’m intolerant to gluten and soy).
These sweet roasted veggies can be served as a main dish, used as a side dish, or may be included as part of a Christmas (or Thanksgiving) meal. Personally, I enjoy this dish best, when combined with a generous helping of salad! 🙂
In this recipe, I’ve used a colourful selection of beets, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, parsnips and potatoes.
These starchy vegetables release energy slowly and will help you to feel fuller for longer. Each serving is high in fibre, contains copious amounts of vitamin C and is rich in B-vitamins too. This meal also contains over 100% of your daily vitamin A and is high in essential minerals, such as manganese (which is important for bone health) and copper (which is used in the body’s antioxidant and immune defences).
Depending on your tastes, you may wish to substitute some of the veggies for other root veg (such as celeriac or swede) or you may alter the amounts I’ve used, depending on what you enjoy.
I hope you love this warming winter recipe as much as I do!
(Side note: For the vegetable broth I use 2 tsp of reduced salt Marigold Organic Bouillon in one cup of boiling water.)
- 280g Sweet Potatoes
- 250g Beetroot
- 240g Carrots
- 210g Parsnips
- 140g Butternut Squash
- 110g Potatoes
- 70g Turnips
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 3 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 Tsp Garlic Granules
- 2 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Tsp Dried Sage
- Select your root veggies and carefully chop them into 1" square pieces.
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients for the glaze and stir well, until combined.
- Place your root veggies in a oven-safe roasting dish and pour the glaze on top.
- Stir the veggies well, until completely covered in the glaze.
- Set your oven to 220℃ (approx 430℉) and roast your veggies for 1 hour (or until cooked) stirring thoroughly every 20 minutes.
- Serve on it's own, or as a side dish (accompanying a salad or a roast dinner).
- 490 kcal
- 89.4% Carbohydrate
- 4.6% Fat
- 6.0% Protein
- Vitamins A, C, B2, B5, B6, B9 (Folate).
- Manganese, Copper, Magnesium, Potassium.
- Dietary Fibre.