Hey Love Bees! 🐝
It wasn’t so long ago that I didn’t know whether I’d ever walk again – and now I’m able to run – So I feel like the luckiest girl in the world! 💜
In fact, I can’t stop grinning from ear-to-ear, swanking about my running gear, and singing the ‘Eye of the Tiger’ at the top of my lungs! (Honestly, I’m such a goof! Haha!).
I even did a ‘practice’ 10k run with Virtual Racing UK and earned my very first shiny medal! Woohoo! This 10k run was to support The Sandcastle Trust – a charity who help sick kids (and their families) to have much-needed days out! 💕
As well as doing lots of running, I’ve also been paying extra attention to my diet!
A large part of my City & Guilds nutrition diploma was focused around sports nutrition, and although it didn’t seem too relevant to me personally at the time, all of that knowledge is definitely coming in handy now! 👌🏻
One of the things I’ve been thinking about lately is what to eat before I run. The time of day that I go running depends on my work, the weather and how I’m feeling – so it’s quite difficult to plan in advance.
One thing’s for sure though, eating a big meal less than 3 hours before exercising, is never a good idea!
A carbohydrate-rich snack can be consumed up to an hour before you work out, however, to improve energy levels, stamina and performance!
These crunchy biscuit power balls are ideal to snack on at this time, and they can be easily popped into your running belt or pocket, to snack on after your race! (They can also be eaten sooner if you’re exercising for more than an hour.)
These chocolate power balls are carbohydrate-rich and are a great source of healthy protein, fibre, minerals and vitamin B2 (which is involved in the body’s energy pathways).
They also contain cocoa to provide a caffeine boost (which helps to enhance performance) as well as maca root powder, to increase energy and improve post-exercise recovery.
These biscuit balls are easy to make, and are super light, crunchy and delicious! (They also taste a bit like bourbon biscuits!)
I hope you enjoy this recipe and have the most wonderful day! 💜
- 2 Cups Dry Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
- 6 Tbsp Maca Powder
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Cashed Butter (with no added oil)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ (392℉)
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, cocoa powder and maca powder.
- Stir in the cashew butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
- Press into small balls and place them on a lined baking tray.
- Bake for 12 minutes until firm and slightly crunchy.
- Store in an air-tight container and enjoy!
- Cashew butter may be substituted with peanut butter. If needed, use gluten-free certified oats.
- This recipe makes approximately 34 balls! 🙂